Wednesday, June 10, 2015

WESTie Wednesday with Kayla of Fawn & Brindle

Welcome to WESTie Wednesday, where each week we get to know a proud WEST member and their Etsy shop! Learn about Kayla and her Etsy shop Fawn And Brindle!

Fawn and Brindle sells gorgeous high quality handmade dog collars.


( Source )

"My name is Kayla and the name of my Etsy shop is "Fawn & Brindle." I'm a 25-year old newly married gal and a mama to 2 boxers - Tyson and Maddie. When Maddie was younger, her jaws would get stuck open and she wasn't able to close her mouth without us helping her to click the jaws back in place. Our vet wanted her to wear a soft muzzle to see if her jaws would heal on their own. Since boxers have short snouts, I decided to specially make some for her so it'd be more comfortable. (Sadly they didn't heal, but we did take her for surgery in another province and she's been great ever since!)
After that, she would get rashes on her neck from wearing her collars, so I thought since I could make the soft muzzles for her, I could easily make a collar. I made one, posted it online and got tons of rave reviews. I decided to take a leap of faith and order in a big shipment of coloured buckles to start making collars."

( Source )

"My shop name "Fawn & Brindle" is literally named after my dogs - Tyson being a fawn boxer, and Maddie being a brindle boxer.
When I started my shop, I wanted to set a brand that would enable anyone to easily identify my products. I love mixing modern and fun fabrics with a solid colour to offset the design and add interest. My martingale collars are really unique and so far have been quite popular with people. I have an office set up downstairs where I do everything - my sewing, ironing, printing, designing, etc. It's so easy to lose track of time once I'm down there working!"

( Source )

"Every 6 weeks or so, I plan a big outing on my day off to go to the other side of the city and visit my 3 favourite fabric shops. I take my time and browse and pick fabrics according to both my tastes and guidelines I have. I love going to go see the new fabrics and picking new ones for future collections. I always get excited to see people's responses and which one becomes the favourite!
All my collars are made of at least 5 layers - including webbing! They are very strong, yet still soft for the dogs. I always use triple zigzag stitches to secure the collars for extra security."


We asked Kayla, Why Etsy? 
"Growing up, I was a buyer on Etsy and secretly always dreamed I would one day have a shop of my own."


Want to see more? Be sure to check out Kayla on social media!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and leaving your comment!