Friday, August 5, 2011

Feature Friday: Mon Cherie Creations

Today we feature Miriam of Mon Cherie Creations.





Who am I?

The simplest answer right now is "MOM". That is the hat I have to wear most of the time, and it's a great hat. I love it. I have two boys and a girl, turning 7, 5 and 2 in July and August and they keep me busy. Not to mention the 6 other children that I care for in my home daycare (not all on the same days, thank heavens). However, I try to remember that I am many other things as well. Which is why I'm attempting to do things that remind me of that, including crocheting.

I hadn't crocheted anything in probably 10 years, until last year a friend started buying crochet patterns from Etsy. She introduced me to Etsy for the first time, and also reminded me of how much I used to enjoy crocheting. The problem was that I didn't know how to make anything other than afghans. I discovered that you can crochet all kinds of smaller items, and found that to be much better for someone who has a busy life because you can finish a hat or a bag in a couple of evenings (if you're having a good counting day and don't have to keep redoing things). I like yarn, I like even stitches, I like that it's easy to just pull out and redo if I see something uneven or mess up my counting, and once it's finished no one can tell how many times I pulled it out and re-did it. I like the mathematical aspect of increasing the number of stitches in the row when making something circular. There are a lot of things I like about crocheting.


Where do you find inspiration?

Sometimes I see a colour and think it would look great for a hat or something for someone in particular. I love colour. That's a big one for me. I can't walk down a yarn aisle without seeing a colour I have to have and thinking on the way to the checkout about what I could make that would look GREAT in that colour. Sometimes I see things that others have crocheted and I think I'd like it better if it was like THIS, so I make my own the way I like it.


What has been your proudest moment as an artist?

Being asked by my mom if I would make something for her. My mom can knit, crochet, and sew, and yet she admires and exclaims over everything that I've crocheted that I show her. When she asked me if I would make her a hat, I knew she really liked the things I'd made. She wasn't just being encouraging because I'm her daughter.
What is your favourite item in your shop and why?

I love all the items in my shop, but my MOST favourite right now is the Raspberry Gabi Beanie. This is the design I came up with for my mom (although I did hers in ivory, as she requested). I like the pattern a lot and it's a style anybody can wear, but I really love the rich colour.



Check out Miriam and Mon Cherie Creations by clicking on the links below:
Mon Cherie Creations on Etsy
Mon Cherie Creations on Facebook
Miriam's Blog - No Rest For The Wicked

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and leaving your comment!