Friday, March 6, 2015

WESTie Wednesday - featuring Upcultured!

Welcome to WESTie Wednesday, where each week we get to know a proud WEST member and their Etsy shop! Learn abouHannah and her Etsy shop Upcultured!

"I have recently move to Winnipeg from Thunder Bay. I grew up surrounded by beautiful scenery and was taken on many road trips across this fantastic country of ours. Nature became very important to me and soon integrated itself into my arts and crafts. I started Upcultured after I began creating things out of the gift cards we so often threw out at my then day job: Starbucks. It wasn't until after the penny was taken out of circulation that I started expanding my materials to any interesting recycled pieces I can get my hands on. I hoard as many gift cards, coins and beads I could find, but today I rely mostly on donations. Being lucky enough to find a wonderful shared studio in the exchange district, I spend most mornings down there, in our old warehouse studio, creating. The process of creating all my product is very time consuming and requires a lot of patience. I am lucky enough though to have that time broken up in many stages. Either way, I have fallen in love with Winnipeg and revel in my time in my beautiful studio."


"Upcultured is dedicated to providing strong designs to like styled and recycle minded individuals everywhere. One does not have to be searching for upcycled accessories to enjoy the bold fashion statements Upcultured provides, but it certainly is an added bonus! Each piece comes with a story. All of the beaded accessories are made from reclaimed jewelry. It is the penny earrings that stand out. Whether it is the plain penny studs or the ones with recycled Starbucks gift cards on top for pattern, you will have a memento of the recently extinct coin with you always."



"My Etsy shop provides me with the opportunity to not only to sell my items but to be involved with a unique online community. Being so easily connected with other people with similar interests is something not so easily come by in the real world."

Want to see more? Be sure to check out Hannah on social media!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and leaving your comment!