Wednesday, February 3, 2016

WESTie Wednesday : ft Ink, Naturally

WESTie Wednesday with Samyra of Ink, Naturally!

Welcome to WESTie Wednesday, where each week we get to know a proud WEST member and their Etsy shop! Learn about Samyra and her shop Ink, Naturally.

I'd like to invite you to see your world in ink, naturally.



I have always joked that I am an artist stuck in a scientist's body. Painting and drawing have been my go-to activities to relax and explore the right side of my brain. As I became more involved in my schooling to become a veterinarian, I found myself allowing for less and less time to explore my creative side. After graduating, there was even less time. Over the past year however, I have started a collection of loose line drawings of my patients and various other animals I encounter. I explore inspiration daily as my profession takes me across the country-side. From routine farm calls, to the sled dog trails of the northern Manitoba, I find the beauty in my patients and their natural surroundings.



Usually I am drawing while I am on call for my clinic. The nice thing about this style and type of ink that I use is that I can leave in flash when I get called to a veterinary emergency. It may be hours later that I return, but I can pick up exactly where I left off. Usually I can be found drawing at the dining room table, or in my little home studio. Of course all of my drawings occur under the watchful eye of at least one of my cats.




My specialty is loose-line drawing animal portraits. All of my drawings are done in ink. I make prints form my originals and typically sell them as standard 5 x 7 and 8 x 10 sizes. My subjects are usually animals that I have personally encountered, or animals that I hope to one day encounter. I find that arctic creatures are particularly amenable to my style of drawing….something about the stark simplicity of their surroundings allows for a more forgiving portrait amidst an unforgiving habitat. I have also dabbled in the realm of custom pet portraits for a number of clients, and I am considering exploring this realm further over the next year. I find that everyone can relate to an animal. I always find it interesting to discover which one of my drawings will call out to a particular individual. And for this reason, I would say that the demographic of my clientele is widespread, though it ranges from animal and nature enthusiasts, veterinary professionals, sled dog aficionados, and modern day explorers!




We asked Samyra “Why Etsy?”
Etsy is more than a shop - it's a nurturing community of supportive artists. It was the natural choice to showcase and share my work with others.

Want to see more? Be sure to check out Ink,Naturally on Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and leaving your comment!