Saturday, October 26, 2013

Foodie Friday : Pumpkin spice latte mini doughnuts

Curious as to what WESTies are making outside the craft room? Step into Caitlin (Real Swanky)'s tiny, wood-paneled kitchen to see what's cookin'.

Doughnuts? Donuts? Little round doughy bits that taste quite alright. I love the smell of pumpkin spice lattes, but a gnarly caffeine allergy deters me from a morning cuppa. That's okay. I found Krakus, from Poland! I picked it up at my local Bulk Barn. Nope, It's not exactly like coffee, because it's made from the extracts of roasted barley, chicory, rye and beet roots. It does have that nice roasted, full-bodied flavour coffee seems to have. 

I've made these little ditties in mini muffin and mini doughnut pans, and they turned out nice! The glaze is a ganache made of melted dairy-free white chocolate and a few tablespoons of extremely strong Krakus. This would be rad with a dark chocolate as well, I'm sure!





Ingredients I
1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp dairy free milk - I used Almond Breeze's almond coconut milk
1/4c strong coffee / coffee substitute (or just more milk alt)
1/2c canned pureed pumpkin
1/4c white sugar
2 tbsp brown sugar, packed
1/4c butter (melted)

Ingredients II
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice 
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2c flour 

Glaze
3/4 cup dairy free white chocolate (bark/chips/bar)
2-3 tbsp strong coffee / coffee sub

In a bowl, combine your dairy free milk and ACV. Stir, and add in the rest of Ingredients I. In a separate, larger bowl, sift in all of Ingredients II. Make a well, and add in your wet ingredients. The consistency will be doughy, a bit sticky, and a bit like a pizza dough (minus the puffiness the yeast provides, but you already know this).

Spoon batter into trays. Don't be afraid to smooth out the tops of batter, it'll then rise nice and evenly. In my picture, I could have smoothed them out more, but let's be real, it was midnight and they had to get to a birthday girl bright and early.

Bake at 350°F for 10-12 minutes or until your toothpick comes out clean.
Let sit in the trays for 10 minutes, before removing and placing on a cooling rack.

Once fairly cooled, you can begin making your glaze. To do this, microwave ...or double-boiler, or VERY carefully put in a saucepan on low.. your white chocolate until fully melted, stirring a heap. Add in 2 tbsp of your coffee/sub, and see if you like the consistency and flavour. It should be thin enough to drizzle, but thick enough to not run all over the place and be a major bummer. I dunked a fork in my glaze and drizzled each piece. If your glaze starts hardening, nuke it for a few shakes.



Interested in more recipes like this? Check out my blog

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and leaving your comment!