Wednesday, January 28, 2015

WESTie Wednesday - featuring MonkeyBusinessCardCo

Welcome to WESTie Wednesday, where each week we better get to know a proud WEST member and their Etsy shop! Let's meet up with Sharon and her Etsy shop MonkeyBusinessCardCo!



"I work part time doing some bookkeeping, but spend the rest of my time creating sock monkeys. I get inspired by a lot of different things. Could be a cartoon character (the minions from Despicable me are my latest inspiration). Could be a cute funky pair of socks I see at the store. I also get inspired by one of my regular customers. Every few months, I'll see her at a craft sale, and she will challenge me to make a new monster type monkey (no smiling face, must be scary looking). I source my materials all over. I'm always on the lookout for socks, large and small, the more colorful the better. Unfortunately, I have to source my "original" socks from the US, as we don't have them in Canada. But everything else is bought from Canadian suppliers. I have a dedicated craft room in the lower level of our house. It is always brimming with boxes of socks, bags of fiber fill, buttons and thread."



"What is it that I sell? Well, I hand make and sell sock monkey creations. Everything from the "Original" good old sock monkey, to colorful and fun patterned monkeys. I also have a line of monster monkeys, zombies, vampires, mummies, demons, etc. I make little monkeys for very little people. No button, just hand stitching, so no choking hazard. I also have a couple of other products: I make wine/water bottle covers, made from socks, and sewn to look like monkeys. Lastly, I use monkey patterned fabric and polar fleece to make coffee cup cozies. My demographic is mostly kids, but my products are great for anyone who is young at heart!"



"I started selling my monkeys at local craft shows. A friend of mine recommended Etsy (she had a shop) as a way of reaching a bigger audience. My monkeys have now been sent all over the world!

I just want to add how much I enjoy being a part of WEST. I have met so many great people in the group, and have been able to exchange so much information over the years. I always know that I can bounce ideas off of fellow WESTie's, and get honest feedback! WEST absolutely ROCKS!"

Want to see more? Be sure to check out MonkeyBusinessCardCo on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and leaving your comment!