Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Old-School Winter Activity Sheets



Winter has certainly arrived across the prairies! The air is crisp, and there is lots of snow on the ground. It's a season of simple pleasures for me, when I am reminded how lucky I am to have such a wonderful family and live in such comfort. I always find the first few snows make me feel lost in time. Under a thick blanket of snow, our ability to travel is limited and we're able to focus on the world immediately around us.

My love of winter isolation has inspired me to share some activity pages from a wonderful 1941 children's book, Creative "Make and Do" Activities - Series One." Think of a time before television, when the fireplace and wood stove were likely the main sources of heat in the house, and urbanization was just beginning across the Canadian heartland. The Great Depression had just ended and World War II was being fought across the pond.



Books like these were the activity kits of their time.






Aren't the fonts wonderful!


I love the fine detail in this activity. Imagine trying to cut out all those little shapes as a child - I think this would be a tough one for me now!

I have included large copies on my flickr page, if you're interested in printing these out to try with the little ones in your life.

Happy winter!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and leaving your comment!